Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Shelving PNI for now

I realized that PNI, while a good idea, will require a lot of time and effort to realize. So for now I have decided to concentrate on JPype. The work I did on PNI has already impacted the release of the next version of JPype, and I don't want to impact it more.

I am still developing JPype with PNI in mind. The only non-pni-compliant code in JPype is auto-generated. So if PNI ever comes to be, I can simply change the code generator (and of course adjust the rest of the code to whatever final form PNI has).

If PNI never sees the light of day ... Well then it'll simply be a abstraction layer that JPype uses :).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, could you explain what PNI is?

5:51 AM  
Blogger Steve Menard said...

Sure. The complete proposal is at http://jpype.sourceforge.net/pni.html.

But in short, it's a proposal to allow python extensions ot be independant of the python version and compiler. So for example, an extension compiled for Python 2.3 would also work with python 2.4 and 2.5, even though the compiler used for Python had changed.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Datul Aida said...

Hi..
I want to integrate Python 2.5 with Apple Pie Parser or JNI? so,i have to use PNI or JPype?

4:45 AM  
Blogger Datul Aida said...

hi Steve..
I want to integrate Python with Apple Pie Parser (writing in C/C++) or JNIPrintWrapper class in Java..So,i have to use PNI or Jpype?

4:49 AM  
Blogger Steve Menard said...

JPype is only about integrating ith Java, so I can only suggest you use JPype to integrate with JNIPrintWrapper

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home